A Guardianship is a legal entity that gives someone else (the Guardian) control over the Ward’s person. The Guardian can direct where the Ward will live and whether the Ward will move to a more restrictive environment. The Guardian will also make decisions about the Ward’s medical treatment and educational or vocational services provided.

To establish a Guardianship, you must demonstrate to the Court that the individual is not competent. The individual could be someone with a brain injury or dementia, someone with a cognitive disability, or a special-needs child who is turning 18. Minor children who are being cared for by someone other than their parents also need a guardianship.

The probate attorneys at Abendroth Russell Barnett Law Firm can answer your questions help you establish a guardianship.